Why start a blog?
In the last several years, I’ve begun sharing my ways of thinking with colleagues and friends. This blog is my attempt to share with a wider audience who may find it valuable.
I have a favour to ask. I am not a naturally gifted or confident writer - please excuse the ChatGPT titles; this isn’t the first blog I’ve started (they’ve all died after a post or 2). If you’ve enjoyed something I wrote, I’d love to hear from you and if you want to share it with your friends, even better.
Say hello 👋
I’ve been sailing since I was about 9 or 10. My sailing has always been highly competitive, and over the years, I’ve been fortunate to win several state and national titles.
I got into sailing through my father, who had sailed his whole life. We lived near a small coastal river with strong tides and many navigational hazards. It was the perfect place to learn!
Over the years, sailing has taught me many lessons that are also highly applicable within a business context. Fortunately, sailing lessons happen very quickly, where often the same lessons play out very slowly within businesses.
My career started as an apprentice sailmaker. (Un?)Fortunately, I got sick and accepted into university. I found computers interesting and the timing was perfect - just a little before the dotcom boom. My proper career started in developing websites, transitioning into data science, and over the last several years have had leadership roles in media, online fashion commerce, currently in the world of web3 gaming.
A little more about me
Here are some emojis 🌊⛵🏄🐩🇦🇺🇫🇮💻
- I had an alternate upbringing
- I love the ocean
- I love sailing, nowadays I mostly spend my time wing foiling
- I surfed a lot growing up. Nowadays, I take the longboard out when there is no wind
- I have 2 dogs named Teddy & Milo. They’re both rescue dogs
- I have an amazing wife who doesn’t like the ocean; she loves food, and I eat incredibly well
- I’m not a fan of cakes
- I’m Australian, and I live in Sydney
- I also have Finnish citizenship from my mother
- I have a small vegetable garden
- I still love getting my hands dirty, though it’s mostly on side projects
- I’m an introvert, though I do enjoy chatting with people one-on-one.